• Consumer debt is at record levels.
• British consumers are on average twice as indebted as those in Continental Europe.
• Between 7 and 9 million people in Britain claim to have had a serious debt problem.
• Many more are in danger of being plunged in a severe debt crisis.
• Few have adequate savings for unexpected expenditure.
• A source of serious stress and worry: 74% of British couples find money the most difficult subject to talk about. 32% lie to their partners about how much they spend on credit cards. 35% are kept awake at night worrying about their finances.
• Low income families are among the most vulnerable.
• Those who left school early, or came from single parent families, or whose parents were unemployed are more likely to have been in debt.
*Centre for Social Justice
We strongly believe that the local church is of vital significance in God’s strategy to advance the Kingdom. As the local church tries to reach its community and beyond, it needs to be equipped. We use resources from other ministries. For example, look how well Alpha has served local mission over the last few years.
As we try to meet the needs of those in the community, we can also be equipped by many ministries who have developed training and materials for us to use. It enables the local church to make a tried and tested response to local problems. It promotes the role of the church in addressing social issues in their communities. It avoids the ‘re invention of the wheel’. Listed in this section are ministries and organisations that can help you.