Research* shows the following.
• Over 320,000 problem drug users of opiates and cocaine.
• Significantly higher percentage of the population addicted than any of our immediate neighbours.
• Our mean alcohol consumption is higher too.
• 5 per cent of 15-39 year olds use cocaine.
• The age of initiation has consistently fallen.
• Care leavers, the homeless and young offenders have disproportionately higher levels of problematic drug and alcohol use than the rest of the population.
• A reasonable estimate is that half of the UK’s near 80,000 prison population are problem drug users.
• Drugs are now a rural as well as an urban problem.
• Some 350,000 children have drug addicted parents and one million have alcohol addicted parents.
*Centre for Social Justice
We strongly believe that the local church is of vital significance in God’s strategy to advance the Kingdom. As the local church tries to reach its community and beyond, it needs to be equipped. We use resources from other ministries. For example, look how well Alpha has served local mission over the last few years.
As we try to meet the needs of those in the community, we can also be equipped by many ministries who have developed training and materials for us to use. It enables the local church to make a tried and tested response to local problems. It promotes the role of the church in addressing social issues in their communities. It avoids the ‘re invention of the wheel’. Listed in this section are ministries and organisations that can help you.