Research* shows that
• Britain comes 19th out of 21 rich countries on educational wellbeing. (UNICEF)
• More than one in ten children leave school with no qualifications.
• 44,000 school leavers each year are illiterate.
• 12% fail to achieve 5 GCSEs with basic accreditation in English and Maths.
• Children from disadvantaged backgrounds are five times more likely to fail academically than their peers.
• Social breakdown is connected with educational failure: Crime – 73% of young offenders describe their academic attainment as nil. Unemployment – Two-thirds of employers believe schools do not equip young people with thepractical skills that they need for employment. Health – 32% of young people who have been excluded from school have been involved with substance abuse.
*Centre for Social Justice
We strongly believe that the local church is of vital significance in God’s strategy to advance the Kingdom. As the local church tries to reach its community and beyond, it needs to be equipped. We use resources from other ministries. For example, look how well Alpha has served local mission over the last few years.
As we try to meet the needs of those in the community, we can also be equipped by many ministries who have developed training and materials for us to use. It enables the local church to make a tried and tested response to local problems. It promotes the role of the church in addressing social issues in their communities. It avoids the ‘re invention of the wheel’. Listed in this section are ministries and organisations that can help you.